If you are here it is because you are probably wondering how to make your hair less greasy.
My scalp is oily, and I know how annoying and uncomfortable it is for you to wash your hair and in seconds having dirty hair again! Over the years I have discovered many things that have helped me to solve the problem to forget about the fatty roots.
The best way to make your hair less greasy is to control the production of oils from the sebaceous gland with good habits and products. Washing your hair properly, removing build-up from your scalp and using dry shampoo are the most effective techniques to reduce the greasiness from your hair.
Also, using a specific anti-grease shampoo, and washing your hair with warm water will also be beneficial.
There are many ways to make your hair less greasy, and in this article I will share all the tricks you can do. I will help you to feel clean hair once and for all.
How to make your hair less greasy
Having greasy hair is one of the most annoying things that can happen to our hair!
There are many conditions in the scalp such as dandruff, hair loss, sensitivity, and of course the excess of greasiness.
Interestingly, all hair problems can be cured except oily scalp!
Yes, you heard right.
Sadly, an oily scalp is the only condition that has no cure, but don’t worry, there are many ways to control it. However, if you can keep it under control with proper care and control the problem up to 80%!
Bare in mind that oily hair is bad for your scalp because you can develop other complications such as hair loss, dandruff or sensibility.
If you want to make your hair less greasy, is important that you:
- Learn how to wash your hair properly
- Remove build up from your scalp regularily
- How to apply conditioner for best results
Let’s see each one of them individually:
Learn how to wash your hair properly
Learning how to wash your hair properly is essential if you want to make your hair less greasy. You will be surprised how much you can reduce oily roots by having a proper washing routine.
As a professional hairdresser, I’ve tried many different ways of washing hair and I the main things that I’ve learn are:
- Don’t wash your hair every day: Yes, I know this is the hardest thing you can ask for. But the truth is that if you wash your hair daily you will make the problem much worse! You should wash your hair a maximum of 3 times a week.
- Avoid hot water: The hotter you use the water when washing your hair, the more greasy your hair will be. You don’t have to suffer either, use warm temperature instead1. Bare in mind that hot water is bad for your hair!
- Wash your hair always twice: When you wash your hair, you always have to use the shampoo two times. The first time the shampoo will only take the excess of buildup, and the second time is where your hair will be thoroughly cleaned. Be careful not to be washing your hair too much.
- Do not apply other hair products near the scalp: No conditioners, masks, or styling products near your roots. The only thing that should touch your scalp is the shampoo, otherwise you could be over conditioning your hair.
Also, is important that you know how to wash your hair step by step. Basically, you should always wash your hair with shampoo twice, and then apply conditioner only once from mids to ends of your hair. This way you will maintain the health of your hair!
READ MORE >> How to tell if your hair is oily
Remove build-up from your hair
The second most important thing to make your hair less greasy is that you learn how to remove the build-up from your hair.
The build up is an accumulation of product residues and fat on the scalp which causes various hair problems such as hair loss or dandruff.
These residues form a kind of sticky white film on our scalp that clogs our hair follicles. If you have a tendency to greasy hair, it is very likely that you suffer from build up even without knowing it!
The best thing you can do to get rid of it is to follow healthy care habits (using a good quality shampoo) and do a once every fortnite exfoliation to thoroughly clean your scalp.
For this reasons I recommend you to:
- Use daily a special shampoo to reduce oil production: You need a shampoo that is special for oily scalp and dry ends like the Kerastase Divalent shampoo. Every time you wash your hair, it will remove all the oil without leaving your hair dry, and best of all, it will treat your scalp so that it produces less oil.
- Remove all the build-up with a special scrub: If you want to remove the build up from your hair, you must exfoliate our scalp at least twice a month. You need to use an exfoliator like the Kerastase Fusio scrub, as it will not only remove all the residue and grease, but you will have less greasiness each time.
How to apply conditioner for best results
Many of us struggle with greasy hair that seems to get oilier by the day. It can be frustrating to constantly wash our hair only to find it greasy again within hours. However, the solution to this problem may be simpler than you think – using conditioner properly.
Firstly, it’s important to note that not all conditioners are created equal. Look for lightweight, oil-free conditioners specifically designed for oily hair. These products will add moisture to your hair without weighing it down or contributing to the greasiness.
When applying conditioner, start at the ends of your hair and work your way up towards the roots. Applying conditioner to the scalp or roots can contribute to the greasiness, as it can clog hair follicles and trap oil. Focus on the lengths of your hair, where it’s most likely to be dry and damaged.
Once you’ve applied the conditioner, leave it in for 1-2 minutes before rinsing it out thoroughly with cool water. Hot water can strip away natural oils from your scalp, which can cause your hair to produce even more oil to compensate.
Another trick is to only apply conditioner every other time you wash your hair. Over-conditioning can lead to buildup and make your hair more prone to greasiness.
Lastly, be mindful of how often you touch your hair throughout the day. Touching your hair too much can transfer oils from your hands onto your hair, which can make it greasy faster. Also, avoid brushing your hair too often, as this can stimulate oil production.
By following these simple tips, you can help combat greasy hair and achieve a healthy look.
READ MORE >> How to apply conditioner properly
I hope this article has been helpful to you to know how to make your hair less greasy.
Do not be overwhelmed in trying to change many habits at the same time, the changes little by little are much more effective.
Try to first change the worst habits that can cause your scalp to generate more oil than normal, and gradually include more improvements.
I assure you that you can enjoy clean hair without residues if you put the points of this article into practice!
Until next time.